Re: Installation of ODBC Drivers for Windows 95. Oracle7

From: Gordon Cartwright <tabors_at_dircon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/14

ramin_at_mitswa.com.au (Ramin Panahi) writes:
> I need to set up my Windows 95 environment with proper ODBC Drivers
> for Oracle7, so that my MS-Access can work with a back-end Oracle7 DB.
> I need to know exactly what I need to have and how to set it up.
>
> PS. Do I need to run SQL*Net on my PC or the one that is running on
> the network is sufficient.
>
> I would appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks.

If you get the windows 95 networking product set from Oracle it will have a level 1 compliant ODBC driver with it. For Access I think this is fine, but for some other products you will need to get a level 2 driver from a 3rd party.

You will need to install SQL*NET and the ODBC driver on every PC that needs to access the database. The SQL*NET code can be held centrally on a file server, but there still needs to be a little local configuration for the registry and PATH on the clients. Not sure about the ODBC driver, it may be okay on the network, but either way there is still local config to be done.

I think there were some earlier discussions on this group about the actions needed to run SQL*NET from a file server. Received on Sat Dec 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CST