Best way to learn Oracle?

From: Noah Green <njgreen_at_panix.com>
Date: 1996/12/13

Hi,
I'm trying to learn Oracle on my own because I may need it for my job (Java client/server programmer). The shop is Solaris but at home I have Win 95. I had a few questions about what course of action to take, namely:
1. Are there huge differences between administering and developing Oracle on Unix and Oracle on Windows (i.e. is it useless to get one of the PC Oracles if I am preparing for a Unix job?)

2. On the PC, is Personal Oracle Lite adequate for learning? Or should I go for Personal Oracle? (Can't afford the workgroup version --- is it so different that there's no point in getting one of the Personals?)

3. Should I get anything else instead of/as well as one of these products?

4. What is a good beginner's book?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

best,
noah Received on Fri Dec 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CST