Re: Oracle performance on large loads

From: Alan Burlison <alanburlison_at_unn.unisys.com>
Date: 1996/12/13

thielm wrote:

> We have several 250 MB Asci Text Files with snapshots of weekly data
> from another system
> that we would like to load into an oracle database. Each Text File
> contains around 800,000
> records and each record represents a fairly complicated relation
> betweenabout 8 entities.
> Several records can also relate to each other.
 [snip]
> and if so does 140 hours seem normal ? I've tried SQL Loader but because
> of the complexity
> of the relations in one record and the possible relations to other
> records it seems almost impossible to use.

'Normal' is an unquantifiable. The question is, 'Is it fast enough', and I
guess from your post the answer is 'No'. As far as I am aware, SQL/Loader
direct path is the fastest way aof getting data into Oracle, as it bypasses
the SGA and writes directly to the data files, so it should be your weapon
of choice. The problem is that if you use direct path, you cannot use SQL
manipulations during the load. You really need to do as much preprocessing
as possible outside of the database environment so that you end up with something that can just be written straight in using direct path. From your
description, I also doubt that your hardware has anything like the power necessary to do this in a reasonable timeframe.

--
Alan Burlison
alanburlison_at_unn.unisys.com

My opinions may be incorrect, but they are my own.