Re: SQL tuning tools question

From: WDH <willied_at_hti.net>
Date: 1996/12/13

In article <32A9B154.68A2_at_inforel.com>, pperry_at_inforel.com says...

>Hi!
>
>Does anyone know anything about or have any experience with any or all
>of the following?
>Inspect/Analyze SQL by Precise,
>SQL Analyzer by Platinum
>SQL Lab by Quest Software?
>What do you think of them? Any comments? preferences?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Patty

Hi Patty,
We have SQL Lab. It is invaluable for running explain plans and quick executions of questionable queries. One usefull feature is it allows you to collect all of the SQL used in an active process (the collections can be saved) and it analyzes each query within the collection. Knowing the logical reads, disk reads, etc. for each query within a program is a big help during perf. monitoring. You can do immediate explains on any SQL in a collection or for an active process. It will even read the x$.. tables and provide SQL for completed processes.

Further, it provides a means to quickly capture and review problem areas e.g., offensive SQL and I/O bottlenecks. I'm the DBA for Oracle and SQL Server, and we have ADHAWK, Bradmark's DBGeneral suite of perf. monitoring products, as well as Oracle's Enterprise Manager. All are good but SQL Lab is very good and preferred over the Platinum product. Received on Fri Dec 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CST