Re: Help: Moving Oracle to a new partition

From: Stephan Witt <witt_at_beusen.de>
Date: 1996/12/13

K. Wade Turner wrote:

> I have Oracle 7.2WGS installed on our NetWare server and I would like to
> move the entire Oracle system to a new volume on the server. I know
> that I can use the export tools to export the databases, unfortunately
> to get all user information and everything else I must select FULL
> export mode. This mode will also dump the current partition settings in
> the export file. Does anyone have any migration suggestions or any
> hints on how to do this.
>
> K. Wade Turner
> turnerk_at_dimensional.com

Grab your Adminstrators Guide,
 see Renaming and Relocating Data Files

sqldba> connect internal
sqldba> startup mount
sqldba> alter database rename file 'file1','file2'
  2     to 'file3','file4' ;

sqldba> alter database open ;

Some precautions:

 + Shut down the instance!
 + Back up your database before!
 + Copy the data files, control files and so on,
   Oracle doesn't do that for you.
 + Specify full pathnames for every filename.
 + Back up your database again (another tape of course :)
 + Do it slowly.

Stephan

<stephan.witt_at_beusen.de>  | "beusen" Software+Systeme GmbH
fon: +49 30 549932-62     | Landsberger Allee 392
fax: +49 30 549932-21     | 12681 Berlin, Germany