Re: Killing a session

From: R. Schierbeek <bytelife_at_worldonline.nl>
Date: 1996/12/13

In article <596gtb$cls_at_stc06.ctd.ornl.gov>, bzy_at_ornl.gov wrote:
> Sometimes when I have killed a session the process stays "alive" until I shut
> down the database. Is there a way to force the killing?
>
> TIA.
> Beverly Zygmunt
> Oak Ridge National Lab

It you really want to get rid of a session then kill it from Unix by doing a:

  $ kill -9 12345

Which unix-id to kill ? You can find out from the v$session and v$process tables. Check out:
<PLUG>

       http://www.worldonline.nl/~bytelife <END of PLUG>
Which has a good "kill.sql" script showing the unix-id.

However if the killed process was doing a delete of 10.000 records then the dbwr may need a few minutes to roll back the delete.

R. Schierbeek, DBA                         ---|---
email: bytelife_at_worldonline.nl               (_)
check out: www.worldonline.nl/~bytelife for some good DBA SQLscripts. Received on Fri Dec 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CST