Re: How to prevent deletes when DELETE ANY TABLE granted?

From: John Verbil <jverbil_at_netmail.mnet.uswest.com>
Date: 1996/12/12

Todd Verstraten wrote:

> What about creating a stored procedure to do the truncation and NOT
> granting delete any table. Then you can grant execute as needed and get a
> degree of control within the proc.
>
> Todd Verstraten
> mailto:tverstrat_at_tier3.com
> http://www.tier3.com

I liked your idea of an essentially declarative method rather than procedural, but unfortunately, two problems crop up with this idea:

  1. You cannot to TRUNCATEs in PL/SQL, only SQL*Plus (at least on 7.2.3)
  2. Even if you could, the person executing the stored procedure must have DELETE ALL TABLE in order to do a TRUNCATE.

Thanks for your idea, though. I ended up using the idea of another respondant, a copy of which is posted to the newsgroup under a separate article.

--
John Verbil
U S WEST Communications