Re: Size Limit Question from a Non-DBA

From: <mtoennie_at_fsc.follett.com>
Date: 1996/12/12

In article <58mik4$q0n_at_usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,   brun_at_dvs.nb.upmc.edu (John Bruni) wrote:

> We are currently running Oracle 7.2.2.3 on a SUN box, (Solaris 2.4).
>
> We would like to do an export of our data base but are told that there is a
> 2GB limit on the file size. Therefore, instead of exporting the data base
> in it's entirety we have to break it up.
>
> Anyone experience this.

John,

Do you know for sure that your database will not export? Sometimes you can set up a 2GB database (i.e. the datafile sizes for the USER tablespace all add up to  ~ 2GB) but only have 500MB of data available for export. Also, what are you exporting the database for? Backups? If so, there are better ways to preserve your data.

Yes, UNIX does have a 2GB limit on file size. However, this limitation should not hamper your ability to import/export your database. Oracle does allow you to export the database to tape by specifying your UNIX tape device name (i.e. /dev/rmt/0 for Solaris 2.x) and the tape volume size. See the 'Oracle 7 Server for UNIX Administrator's Reference' guide for more information.

You could "break up" your export session by specifying which tables/views you wish to export. Also, you can specify which schema you which to export. Otherwise, as far as I know, you will have to export the whole sucker.

I hope this info helps...

Matt Toennies
mtoennie_at_fsc.follett.com