Re: O/S Authentication & SQL*Net

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/12/12

Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <58k5f0$q5f_at_senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>, Stephen Turner
><sturner_at_athena.mit.edu> writes
>>What I'd like to do is to set my Oracle user ID to have a password,
>>AND set O/S authentication on in the server so that when logged on
>>locally to the server machine I can connect so:
>>
>> sqlplus /
>>
>>but when connecting via SQL*Net I am forced to type my password.
>>
>>What actually happens is that if I set a password for the Oracle
>>user id, I cannot connect just using a '/' locally; and if
>>I set the Oracle user to be identified externally, I cannot
>>connect via SQL*Net.

>Unfortunately, the ability to have both password and external
>authentication disappeared when v7 was introduced.

This is true in general. However, to maintain compatibility with older product versions, the old behavior is still available _if_ you are using OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX="OPS$" in init.ora. Create your userids as 'OPS$<os_userid>' with 'IDENTIFIED BY <password>' and you should be able to log on with just a slash or explicitly with userid/pw. To force the latter on SQL*Net clients specify REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT=FALSE in init.ora.

/b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not