Help: Moving Control Files

From: Gary Meyers <gmeyers_at_arco.com>
Date: 1996/12/11

Particulars: Solaris 2.5, Sparcstation 20, Oracle v7.2.3.0.0

I need to move 2 of my 3 control files. (Following the Oracle 7 Server Administrators Guide) After shutting down the
database and exiting SQL*DBA, I copied 2 of my 3 control files to new locations, renamed the originals, and changed the control file locations in configprod.ora (which is, of course, pointed to by initprod.ora, "prod" being the SID)

I restarted the instance (which came up fine). Then in sqlplus, I said

select * from dba_data_files;

and get:
SQL> select * from dba_data_files;
ERROR:
ORA-00210: cannot open control file
'/export/edwardd01/oracle/data/prod/cntrl2prod.cntl' ORA-07368: sfofi: open error, unable to open database file. SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

The pathname above is my OLD pathname, and IS NOT what's in configprod.ora.

I can find no ref. in the manuals regarding renaming the control file in the database--only OS renames/moves are indicated, as well as the changes in configSID.ora.

Any help is appreciated.

Gary Meyers
gmeyers_at_arco.com Received on Wed Dec 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CST