What constitutes a Transaction ?

From: Dave Young <dyoung_at_cha.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/12/11

Hello, I am trying to confirm or deny exactly when a begin work and commit work actually takes place in the following senerio. (We run Oracle 7.3.2.2 on a HP9000 b10.20 Unix) - so much simpler in our last world Tandem and NonStop SQL) I have a program that listens to a socket for data. Once data is sent and captured the program inserts the data into an Oracle Table A. There is no transaction processing in the program. The table (A) has a trigger 'on-insert" that will parse the data into a another Oralce Table B. Table B also has a trigger on insert that will call various user functions/procedures and do a bunch of DML's depending on a bunch of stuff. You cannot have any commits or rollbacks on triggers or procedures called by triggers so my question is what is considered a transaction.

If I insert into 4 other tables (C,D,E and F which could have been done by 4 different procedures nested from the original trigger on table B) and the insert on F fails (which there will be an exception routine for) will C,D and E be rollbacked ? Does the ON ERROR clause automatically consitute a rollback and if so from what point? From the entry into that particular procedure or from the beginning trigger ? What manual do I find these answers ?

I appreciate any insight you may have.

tia..........dy Received on Wed Dec 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CST