Help with oracle performance (alpha)

From: Dilip Dasilva <dilip_at_best.com>
Date: 1996/12/09

  We are developing a simple application that needs to handle hundreds   of transactions/sec. Each transaction contains four items.   The buyer, the seller, the object bought and the price.

  Currently we have implemented the app using an oracle 7.3   on a dec 4100 (4 processor).
  Each transaction is entered into a big table of transactions.   We have three indexes on the table - on the buyer, the   seller, and on the object bought. This is so we have queries   like "list all the objects sold by a seller". Currently,   each insertion of a transaction takes
  3 ms. But each index on the table causes the insertion time   to increase by 3 ms. So with the three indexes on the table,   the total time for each insertion is 12 ms. This gives   us about 80 transactions/sec. We need to get much higher   performance than this. We have also tried multi-threading   the application but this does not increase the through-put   of the insertions.

  Does anyone have any idea about how to increase performance -   or have we reached the limit of oracle.

  Thanks, Dilip Received on Mon Dec 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CST