Oracle Table Partitioning

From: Mike Rushton <mike_at_mrush.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/08

Has anyone implemented partitioning of tables under 7.3? I.e. splitting a table up into separate tables (one per year perhaps) and then joining them back together in a view with the UNION ALL operator

What are the performance increases like?

Does the optimizer work as Oracle suggests (i.e. it only scans the tables needed to retrieve the data required and not all the tables)?

What about Table constraints, do these need to be duplicated for every table?

Any views welcome before I attempt this.

Thanks

Mike Rushton
mike_at_mrush.demon.co.uk Received on Sun Dec 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CST