Re: SQL net v2 with Oracle v6

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/08

Adam Soudure <asoudure_at_poyntons.com.au> wrote:

>Hi all, we have two databases residing on one of our unix machines, one
>using Oracle v7.1.6.2 and the other using Oracle v6.0.3.6

>A TNS entry has been set for the v7.1 database, and connections to it
>work just fine. However, I have tried setting up a TNS entry for the v6
>database and the client software says it cannot resolve the TNS name :(
>I have added the entries in tnsnames.ora in exactly the same way.

>Is there some trick to configuring listeners with Oracle v6??

I seem to remember hearing that SQL*Net 2 simply won't connect to Oracle 6. It is possible (at least under VMS: can't comment on other systems) to run both SQL*Net 2 and SQL*Net 1, and use SQL*Net 1 to link between Oracle 6 and Oracle 7, but an upgrade would probably be a better idea. Received on Sun Dec 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CST