Re: OPS Question

From: R. Schierbeek <bytelife_at_worldonline.nl>
Date: 1996/12/08

In article <01bbe2bd$bdfea860$3d9f5b8f_at_netman.gtetel.com>, "Kevin Brand" <kbrand_at_gtetel.com> wrote:

> Does OPS support multiple Instances per ( clustered ) node?
Yes, just like you can run multiple instances on a normal computer.

> Given a two node ( node A and node B ) cluster running OPS,
> is it possible to run more than one Instance of Oracle on both
> node A and node B while accessing a common disk subsystem?
Sure. One instance on each side accessing the same db. Put 10 db's on the machine if you like.

> Will this depend on the DLM provided with the OS?

Yes.
Some more advice: if may be advantageous to run all the batch processes on one side, and the user processes on the other. That way you can tune the rollback segs. Also you can reduce the inter-node locking by distributing the users in a clever way: all the users of the Ordering tables on side A and of the Manufacture tables on side B.

> This could also be explained as running more than one Instance
> of the Parallel Server on the same set of hardware.
>
> I realize that this isn't practical and does not generally fit well into
> the OPS world, however my shop may be forced to run multiple
> instances to contain various 'data sets'. Using the OPS will
> prevent the need for using other means ( replication ) of allowing
> another node to access the same data.
> Thanks in advance
> Kevin Brand

R. Schierbeek, DBA                         ---|---
email: bytelife_at_worldonline.nl               (_)