Tuning for two "classes" of users

From: Carmen Iannacone <carmen_at_pniltd.com>
Date: 1996/12/05

I'd like to solicit some opinions on tuning a 7.3.2 Solaris db which has the following characteristics:

many (more important), short transactions using "thin" tables (few columns with no LONGs)

vs.

fewer (less important), short transactions using a wide table (many columns, LONGs).

I'd like to tune it in such a way that the former class of users gets preferential treatment in terms of performance.

Are there any particulars that one should consider when doing the SGA sizing that are of note? I have a concern that the latter class of users might cause cache flushing of the former class's data
(that is, after a class two transaction, the next
several class ones find little or nothing they need in the cache).

Thanks for any help!

-Carmen
(carmen_at_pniltd.com)