Re: char to varchar2

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/12/04

On 2 Dec 1996 17:11:22 GMT, shiwko@ wrote:

>Is it true that Oracle will not support the CHAR datatype in the future, i.e.,
>all CHAR columns must be converted to VARCHAR2 ?
>
>Thanks
>shiwko kostadinow

Not that I am aware of. char is the ansi datatype, we wouldn't be getting rid of that one.

I would recommend using varchar2 over char for a number of reasons but not because char is going away (it isn't)

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Dec 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CST