Re: Oracle/NT Server performance

From: Matthias Greß <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1996/12/03

Jim Mular wrote:

> If you were running a NT Server (P-133 with 128Mb RAM, an Adaptec 2940
> with 2- 4.0 Gig Quantum Fireball SCSI drives mirrored by NT) with Oracle
> 7.1 and were having performance issues (the drives are crunching
> constantly) what would be the first thing you would upgrade?
>
> I've been told that a processor and memory upgrade will improve the
> performance, but I would have thought due to the heavy disk activity
> that a better SCSI controller (maybe a 40Mbit ultra fast wide SCSI disk
> system) would be the best bet.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Jim

My suggestions:

Use a RAID-Controller to let the hardware do the mirroring. Use several drives where your database files reside. In the Oracle DBA Handbook (author: Kevin Loney ; Osborne McCraw Hill, Berkely) there's an example using seven disks to spread I/O-load.

disk:

1	Oracle Software
2	SYSTEM-Tablespace control fiel 1
3	PBS, TEMP and TOOLS tablesspace Control file 2
4	DATA Tablespace control file 3
5 	INDEX Tablespace
6 	Online Redo Logs 1,2,3 Export dump files
7	Application software, Archived redologs
--
M.Gress   :-)