Re: Oracle on Novell SFTIII - slowdown?

From: Chris Millikin <chris_at_ultraex.com>
Date: 1996/12/03

Peter Holzleitner wrote:

> A client running Oracle on NetWare SFTIII 4.1 is experiencing significant
> slowdowns with associated high CPU utilizations under moderate database
> load. It should not be a memory problem, since upgrading memory to 256M
> didn't help. Does anybody know of particular problems that can cause this?
>
> Sorry about being vague about version numbers, patch levels etc. as I
> have yet to see the machine myself; this is based on phone conversations.
>
> --Peter

This sounds like a problem we had with Win95 clients using Client 32 for Win95. The original client software had a bug in it that missused "opportunistic locking". This allowed the client to lock a file, but did not unlock it when another request for it came in to the server. The result was slow (halted in most cases) network responce, and cpu utilization skyrocketing to 98-100%! An upgreade patch to the client package solved the problem.

Chris Received on Tue Dec 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CST