Re: Oracle on Novell SFTIII - slowdown?

From: David Ramsey <d-tramse_at_gnatnet.net>
Date: 1996/12/02

Peter Holzleitner wrote:

> A client running Oracle on NetWare SFTIII 4.1 is experiencing significant
> slowdowns with associated high CPU utilizations under moderate database
> load. It should not be a memory problem, since upgrading memory to 256M
> didn't help. Does anybody know of particular problems that can cause this?
>
> Sorry about being vague about version numbers, patch levels etc. as I
> have yet to see the machine myself; this is based on phone conversations.
>
> --Peter

Yes, there are some software packages for Novell that does not run, or does not run well with SFTIII. From what I have seen, it has been related with large data related NLMs on the server that manipulate large amounts of information on the server. It seems that when the large data base programs run at the workstation level, SFT3 does not conflict. However, when the same information is actually be processed on the server level, it causes a problem with SFT3. Arcserver is one of the applications. That might be what is happening with you.

* David W Ramsey, Electronics Technician US Navy                  *
* Attached: Trident Refit Facility Kingsbay GA, Lan Management    *
* Assistance or opinions are my own, and NOT those of my employer *
*       (I hate this legal stuff, but is required. :)             *