SQL*Net and the parallel query option...

From: Naresh <nramamur_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1996/12/02

Greetings,

My client has ORACLE 7.2 running on IBM-AIX 4.1. We have SQL*Net version2.3.2. Recently we added the parallel query option to do some performance testing on SQL accessing a couple of large tables. The SQL was run against the tables from the server side using SQL*Plus and ran very well.

However, when we tried to run the same SQL from the client machine (SQL*PLUS from Windows using username/password@<instance_name>) we got an error message ORA-07260. It said something about error code 4 and AIX specific stuff. I figured that this had to have something to do with SQL*Net since the same query was running fine from the server side. My sqlnet.ora file on the server has the SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME parameter set to 5. I changed this to 0 and restarted SQL*NET. The same SQL query now runs consistently from the client using the same SQL*Net connect. My question is what could possibly be the relationship between SQL*Net's EXPIRE_TIME parameter and the parallel query option? My client needs to have expire_time=5 for production. Can anyone throw some light on this? Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Naari. Received on Mon Dec 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CST