Oracle 7.1.4 -> 7.2.3, forms 3.0 -> forms 4.5 upgrade, MTS, performance problems

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/11/29

Hello all;

We've just spent the last 6 days upgrading our production database from release 7.1.4 to 7.2.3, and our forms application (SCT's Banner Finance) from forms 3.0 to forms 4.5 . We have been running the applciation for about a year and a half using Multi Threaded Server with no problems. We have, seemingly, identified MTS as a problem after the upgrade. The difference in response times with TWO_TASK set and unset is dramatic. Response is acceptable w/o utilizing MTS, but when you use the shared servers the response is flat out bad. Prior to this upgrade MTS response was just fine for the approximately 200 concurrent connections that we average per day. We haven't yet given the database to the users for their validation of the upgrade, so, we're talking lousy resonse time with 1 or 2 people connected to the database via MTS. The machine in question is:

	DEC ALpha 8400
	6 gig memory
	4 cpu's

I have looked at the shared server and dispatcher stats and they all look just fine. I have a call in to Oracle as well. Has anyone here experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be responsible? Any suggestions? I'd be most appreciative of any thoughts or comments. We have until Monday morning to get this resolved. Of course, one solution is to quit using MTS, but I would like to know the cause of the problem before doing that.

TIA David J. DeWolfe
Statewide Office of Information Services University of Alaska
907.474.7399
sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu

In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of  choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins Received on Fri Nov 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CST