Re: SQL help. Counting duplicate rows (Grrrr kill users!)

From: Ian Wilkins <ianw_at_sensible.teleord.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/27

Janet tried:
>>but do i have an answer? hmmmm..
>>perhaps something like:
>>column col_2 noprint
>>select distinct col_1, col_2, count(*)
>>from table_name
>>group by col_1, col_2
>>/

Well, that didn't give me quite what I wanted as the it still does the distinct on col2 even though it doesn't print it. BUT

You've led me down the right path (and Theresa & John, Ta), by putting this as a subquery in the from, Bob is your proverbial. Thus:

select distinct col1, col2_count
from (select col1, col2, count(*) col2_count from table1
group by col1, col2)

Try it, it works! I'm feeling good now! : )

Trouble is, now I'll have to start getting rid of all the duplicates : (

Thanks again.

Ian (complete with warm feeling inside).

*  "Think for yourself - Question Authority"   *
*  Dr. Timothy Leary (1920 - 1996)             *