Re: Oracle performance tuning

From: Michael E. Austin <austin_at_inmind.com>
Date: 1996/11/26

I did/do not see teh orginal post, but it sounds like you are having problems
finding and correcting bad queries. There are some other tools that will give
you a lot more information that are available from companies (such as the one
I work for) that make DBA tools that can help with these types of problems.

TKPROF is available, but it can be a little kludgey at times. As a consultant
I find that performance problems fall into 3 maybe 4 categories:

poor database design
poor application code (including inefficiently written SQL) not enough horsepower (trying to go 200mph with a Chevette 4 cyl engine - can't be done)

Knowing your data, your engine and your system will go a long way in beginning to solve
those types of problems. Haveing the proper tools doesn't hurt either.

Ernst, good answer. I you see Michael Fleck w/Oracle tell him I said hello.

| Michael E. Austin |
| The Database Solutions Company |
| A DATABASE TOOLS AND CONSULTING FIRM |
| The Platform only matters if you want performance. |
| Buy the BEST! Buy Digital Alpha and Oracle RDB |
| Business: Personal: |
| maustin_at_dbsol.com austin_at_inmind.com | |http://www.dbsol.com www.inmind.com/people/austin| +=====================================================+
 views expressed by me do not necessarily  reflect the views of my employer!