Re: DB_FILES exceeded ORA-00059

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban>
Date: 1996/11/23

Try this:

  1. Shut down the database
  2. Modify the DB_FILES parameter in the init.ora by increasing it from its current value (a number).
  3. Startup the database.
  4. Add the tablespace.

To check that this is your problem:

Check how many datafiles are you using currently:

select count(*) from v$datafiles;

Check what is the current value of the DB_FILES parameter from init.ora or from the v$parameter table:

select name,value from v$parameter where name='db_files'; (you have to use lower case).

I believe your problem is that by adding a new tablespace, i.e. a new datafile, you exceeded the max # of files allowed for the database.

Be careful when increasing the DB_FILES parameter that you do not exceed the MAXDATAFILES values (used at database creation). Unless you have the original SQL script for the database creation, the only way I know to find out the value of MAXDATAFILES is to use the ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE command.

I hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu