Re: deployment of new stored objects without a local dba

From: Ken Shirey <kshirey_at_spindle.net>
Date: 1996/11/23

Dwayne K. King wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am looking for input from people on how they do deployment of new versions
> of DB packages, triggers etc. if you don't have the luxury of a local DBA.
> The people there will be trained on the network s/w, but nothing on the DB :(
>
> We are currently readying for deployment, to fourteen sites (we currently
> only have one pilot office). What we want to do is create an idiot-proof
> install program that will install the new forms, reports, run DDL and SQL
> scripts etc.

Hopefully, you have installed SQL*Net, and have connectivity from a master site
to all of the others. If so, have the DBA at the main location connect to each
of the other sites ( connect schema_owner/passwd_at_remote_connect_string ), and
run his installation scripts. With SQL*Net and the Oracle7 Distributed option,
it gets even easier:

  Create database link tulsa_link
  connect to bob identified by sled
  using 'fsprod.world';

  create table target_table_at_tulsa_link as (     select * from source_table
    where rownum < 1) ;

 (etc for views, data, etc...)

> I am part way there (to the last point). You can only run scripts with a
> userid/password string, which we obviously don't want to include in our
> installation disks. Also this would mean we need to use the same password at
> each site.

Some options:
  Have your DBA remotely run the scripts via SQL*Net.

  Change the password on the schema owner's account to "install", and give the
  password to a trusted user to run. Then change the password back again.

  If you're using Oracle Forms, the forms can be stored in the database or in the
  filesystem. (reports too...). This uses bandwidth & server resources, but makes
  a great source-control mechanism - There is exactly ONE copy of each form
  available to the users. Each form can also be remotely installed/upgraded by
  the use of SQL*Net.
<cut>

Hope this helps.

Ken Shirey
Oracle Database Administrator
PrimeCo Personal Communications, LLP
kshirey_at_primeco.com Received on Sat Nov 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CST