Q: How to tell if listener is up on HP-UX?

From: John Emmerling <user95_at_nugnu.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1996/11/23

Hi:

I am trying to use SQL*Net on Windows NT 3.51 to connect to an Oracle DB instance (on which I have a username and password) which is on an HP-UX host. My attempts to connect have so far failed. I tried using tnsping, and the response I got was "no listener" from TNS.

I have tried to run tnsping on the HP-UX side, however I don't seem to be supplying the correct arguments. I don't have any special privilege on the HP-UX side (other than normal user), I have administrator rights on the NT side.

I have some suspicion that the listener is not up on the HP-UX side, partly because the log file (lsnrctl.log) shows no recent entries, although the computer has re-booted fairly recently. Is there a daemon process I could check for before approaching the administrators?

I can connect to the DB instance from other HP-UX hosts that are on the same LAN, however I am speculating that this is accomplished by means other than TNS (as you can see I am a newbie!).

Additional questions:

The listener.ora on the HP-UX side calls the listener by a name other than the default "LISTENER". Could this present a problem?

Also, I am having trouble with the "community" stuff. On the HP-UX side, community was set to "ORATCP". On the NT side, should I use "ORATCP", "ORATCP.world", or what? Can I use a raw IP address for "HOST" (as there may be DNS problems?

I would hugely appreciate any help!!

Regards,

--
John Emmerling					John.Emmerling_at_gsfc.nasa.gov

--
John Emmerling                  |    Computer Sciences Corp.
+1 301 497-2426                 |    Mission Integration Technology Group