Recovering Redo logs

From: Jereme R. Chapman <jrc2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1996/11/22

   If any one has any suggestions/brute force techniques that will help    enable the database to start under the following situation, please    feel free to share/advise. This will be of immense help to us.

  1. The database is running in no archive log.
  2. The database gets corrupt and we decide to restore from a a set of cold-backup tapes.
  3. Unfortunately the tape(s) containing the redo logfiles are not available.
      We can go up to the point of mounting the database, but can't
      open it --- complains about redo logfiles.

   4. All we need is opening the database ---.   Is that theoretically
      possible ?  If the answer is yes and someone knows the
      techniques, that will be extremely useful/helpful for us.

     We have cold backup ofa ll datafiles, controlfiles, rollback
segments.
     We don't have any ( not even one ) any redo logfiles. Are there
     work-arounds to force the database to start. The key thing is we
don't
     have any redo logfiles available ( past, present,future ).

     We have tried several tricks ( dropping redo logs, add neww redo
     etc. to somehow force the database to use new redo logs from
     the controlfile --- nothing seems to work; If we have atleast one
     redo log we can still start/open the database even if we loose all
other
     redo logs-- atlest one redo log is needed, and looks like the
     database needs atleast one redolog to do anything related to
     opening the database)

     Please forward any replies to   "uchak_at_lanier.com" or you
     can reply to this posting.   Thanks <Willy)