Re: Oracle and Raid 5

From: Christopher B. Loggans <cloggans_at_nova.umuc.edu>
Date: 1996/11/21

According to a summary of the different RAID levels that I have, RAID 3 uses "parallel access" where all disks participate in in every I/O request. This would result in high data transfer rates but slower I/O request rates as only one request can process at a time. RAID 5 on the other hand uses independent disk access so separate disk access requests can be satisfied in parallel. It then says, "... this is more suitable for applications that require high I/O request rates and is less attractive for applications that require high data transfer rates."

Just exactly how all of this applies to Oracle is your guess. I could see arguements for both sides.

-Chris
 REL-TEK Systems & Design, Inc.
 Systems Admin/DBA Received on Thu Nov 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CST