Solaris & Oracle 7.1.6 Memory Problems "HELP!"

From: Donald C. Smith <dsmith_at_micro.lucent.com>
Date: 1996/11/20

I need help. I'm having mega memories problems when running Oracle Server on my 2.x machines. The problems are listed below.

  1. After the server been up for some time and then brought down the memory utilization does not drop. I then run ipcs to look at the share mem segment and it is still there. Is this suppose to free up or do I have to run ipcs -r to remove it?
  2. Probably because my memory is swamped that I am experiance outrageous paging. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on paging on a oracle server. What would be an acceptable amount if paging percentage?
  3. And third on my oracle servers I seem to be experience high buffer cache numbers. All of my sa documents say that buffer cache should be more than 2% of physical memory if there is no setting in /etc/systems. On one my oracle servers the buffer cache is up to 33%. Is this a bug? Acn anyone shed some light on these memory problems? I appreciate the help...

Donald C. Smith
dsmith_at_micro.lucent.com
1-610-712-6675
Oracle Unix Engineering Received on Wed Nov 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CST