Re: Q: embedding userid/password in scripts?

From: Charles Walker <cwalker_at_csc.com>
Date: 1996/11/19

Bola Ogunlana (DBA) wrote:

> John P DeVoy wrote:
> >
> > I'm new to UNIX, and I want to develop some cron scripts that I
> > can have log into the database and do some chores for me. I can
> > do that trick just fine, but I'm not certain I'm handling the
> > account name and password in the most secure manner possible.
Oracle does not allow OS authentication from ALL OS's(NT?). In this case (and any other)
you can simply create a user that has ONLY connect privleges. Then inside your
sql script connect as another user. I created a user called 'SPAWN' with a password
of 'PROCESS'. So when someone does a 'ps -ef' all they see is 'sqlplus spawn/process'.
If they connect to my database, they can't DO ANYTHING. Another way, if your OS
handles it is to use the 'sqlplus -s' command and put the connect info in the sql script.
I know this works with SunOs but not AIX. Received on Tue Nov 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CST