Re: RESIZE datafile bug???

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1996/11/17

Bill Beaton wrote:

> I've just been hit by a weird problem in one of my test instances ...
> maybe someone else has come across this, and found a fix for it
>
> 1. Oracle 7.2.2.4 on Sun Solaris 2.5.1, NOARCHIVELOG mode
> 2. SeveraL days ago I issued an
> alter database datafile '/oracle/db02/tools.001' resize 10M
> because it was created at 30M, and we were never going to load
> anything into it. Datafile worked fine ... could create, drop
> objects, and coalesce the free space without problem.

> During creation of the new control file, ORACLE aborted saying that the
> file I had resized several days ago was only 10M, while it should be 30M,
> and then aborted the startup. It will not create the control file, so I
> can't get as far as startup mount, in order to drop the datafile.

  First of all, I also think that it is a tragedy. Anyway, it is not always possible to decrease the size of a datafile to a specific value as the manual said. So, it is better to check the size of the datafile after resizing.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841