NT server looses connection to network

From: Graham Estey <graham.estey_at_sofkin.ca>
Date: 1996/11/13

The problem I have is that one of my NT file servers every once and a while will loose it’s knowledge of the network. When you do a net view the only system it see is itself. The system is configured as follows:

                Pentium Pro 200
                64 Mbytes memory
                Adaptec 2940 scsi controller
                Lots of disk space
                NT v3.51 SP5
                3com 3c590 (NT supplied drivers)
                Oracle version 7.3

The system is setup to run as an Oracle server and that is it. The problem usually occurs when the system is idle, I have not encounter a problem where someone is accessing the data base and the system hang. However, if the person is connected but idle in does occur (The system is idle at least 90% of the time).

        The rest of the network is a mix of NT3.51 and WFWGs. The PDC is a NT V3.51 sp5, BDC and DHCP server is NT 3.51 sp5, second BDC and wins server is NT V4 sp1. Note this problem was occurring before the NT4 server was installed.

        If anyone has any suggestion as to why this is happening or any suggestions as to a road to fallow to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

                Thanks
                Graham

System Manager Systems and Network Manager EW - DREO- DND Software Kinetics E-mail: estey_at_ewd.dreo.dnd.ca graham.estey_at_sofkin.ca HTTP: WWW.DREO.DND.CA WWW.SOFKIN.CA fax: (613)-998-8401 (613)-831-1836 Phone: (613)-998-2520 (613)-831-0888