Re: Star Query Indexes

From: Larry Monack <lmonack_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1996/11/13

Bitmapped indexes are only good for columns with low cardinality. I agree with Mike's point which is referring to how Oracle's optimizer recognizes a 'star' query as opposed to a 'pair-wise' query. Surely, the minds at Oracle can come up with a better way like allowing the DBA to tag the fact table as a 'fact' table. In the meantime, we're stuck with the pair-wise query. And to say Oracle has 'Star Query' functionality is just pure marketing hype.