ORA-7331 on SunOs

From: Anna B. Sotnichenko <anna_at_xperts1.rtc.neva.ru>
Date: 1996/11/11

What should I do after receiving an error message:

ORA-7331: smsnsg: Unable to allocate the variable portion of the SGA
additional information: 4

This trouble happened when I was trying to install Oracle 7.2 Enterprise Server for Sun Solaris 2.4 on SunOs 4/5. More exactly - this error occurred during attempt to create the initial database instance. This software has come with Oracle Web Evaluation CD. All required patches were previously installed. The description of the error is following:

Cause: The variable portion of the SGA is too big to fit continuously into one segment.

Action:        Reconfigure the UNIX kernel to have bigger segments.  See
the "Oracle System Architecture" chapter for additional information.
(this description is taken from on-line documentation)

Is it true that:
1) SunOs 5/4 = Sun Solaris 2.4
2) SunOs Kernel cannot be reconfigured without a lot of headache?

I'll be very glad to hear from you
Anna. Received on Mon Nov 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CST