Re: Oracle "Sessions" left open

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1996/11/11

Brad Ashforth <bashforth_at_sprynet.com> wrote:
>Hi!
>We have an app written in VB4 connecting to Oracle 7.3 using ODBC. So
>far, so good. The problem(s)?
>(1) If an app terminates abnormally due to the pc being turned off, the
>ODBC connections are still left open, and we have to use the Session
>Manager to delete the sessions. To keep things nice and tidy, this has
>to be done before restarting the app, otherwise we don't know which
>sessions are valid and which aren't. This is a real pain. Is there any
>way to have Oracle manage this automatically (say, after so many hours
>of no activity on a session, kill it)?
>(2) If an app terminates abnormally, but the pc's operating system is
>still ok (i.e., the app crashes but the pc doesn't have to reboot) the
>ODBC connections still appear to be in use in that if the app crashes
>enough times a subsequent app start will not be able to connect to
>Oracle. Is there a way for ODBC to use an existing ODBC connection
>(i.e., on a fresh start up can we write the ODBC handles to a file and
>then check that file on any subsequent startups, if handles are there
>use them)?
>
>These problems seem to be fairly major, yet I find no reference to them
>anywhere, nor can I get any support/suggestions from Oracle support.
>Surely SOMEONE out there has run in to these problems?
>
>HELP!!!!!
>
>(Thanks!)

Hi there,

Try setting sqlnet_expire_time in the following file.

$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

Edit the above file. You will find a variable called expire time. Set this to non zero.

For example, if you set it to 5, then every 5 minutes one of the oracle process will clean up all the hanging jobs (jobs for which the initiator is not present). It works well in our environment.

Depending on your requirement, you can set the value to non zero.

Regards

N.Prabhakar
Socgen Crosby Securities
Singapore Received on Mon Nov 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CST