Re: no rows returned on execution

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/10

In article <55vniv$bf9_at_explorer.csc.com>, dmarsha3 <dmarsha3_at_csc.com> writes
>group :
>
>I created a view as owner x which uses user_tab_columns as one of its
>tables. The works fine. But when I grant select on this view to user y
>it returns NO ROWS SELECTED. Looks like when the user y executes the
>oracle is using user_tab_columns of y instead of x. Is there any way
>to get around apart from using dba_tab_columns.

USER_TAB_COLUMNS is a view something like 'select * from col$ where owner=user', and is therefore different for every user. You could use dba_tab_columns but all_tab_columns is probably safer.

On general principles I would steer clear of views based on system objects as they are not quaranteed to be constant from version to version.

Please use comp.databases.oracle.server for topics like this as comp.databases.oracle will be withdrawn soon.

--
Jim Smith