Re: HELP: How to stop a dbms job gracefully

From: Xuewei Zhou <zhou_at_Glue.umd.edu>
Date: 1996/11/10

In article <32850C1F.401_at_post3.tele.dk>, Sten E. Vesterli <sev_at_post3.tele.dk> wrote:
>Xuewei Zhou wrote:
>>
>> We have a problem with one of the jobs scheduled to run periodically
>> using DBMS_JOB packages. It shows up in dba_jobs_running but it is not
>> doing anything. We had to shutdown and restart the database to have
>> this job working again. If you know how to stop a running job, please
>> help. We are looking for a short term solution that can stop a hung job
>> and run it again at the next interval without shuting down the database
>> while we are working on the long term solution.How does the database respond if you manually mark the job as broken using
>DBMS_JOB.BROKEN?
>
>The DBA_JOBS_RUNNING shows the session id of the running job. My guess would be
>that the job will have its own session that can be killed with session manager?
>
>When you find an answer, please post it.
>
>Best regards and good luck,
>
>Sten Vesterli
>Systems Engineer
>TPI - Tom Pedersen International A/S
>sev_at_tpi.dk

Those are so far I have tried with no success:

   DBMS_JOB.BROKEN: This updates the DBA_JOBS view, but has no effect on

         the current running job.
   ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION: The job session does not respond to kill,

         it only gets marked for kill.
   DBMS_DEFER_SYS.UNSCHEDULE_EXECUTION: This call gets blocked on

         the resource held by the running job.
         -- The job was scheduled using DBMS_DEFER_SYS.SCHEDULE_EXECUTION --

I still have to bounce the database to get the job run for a while, and then gets stuck again.

LuHuaron_at_usa.redcross.org Received on Sun Nov 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CST