Re: RAID and Oracle

From: David E. Daniel <david.daniel_at_wmich.edu>
Date: 1996/11/06

Walter Zimmer wrote:

> David E. Daniel (david.daniel_at_wmich.edu) wrote:
> : - Oracle states that you should not use RAID.
> We are using raid on an alpha AXP with DEC Unix 3.2.
>
> Did they mention any reasons for NOT using raid ?
>
> Walter
>
> walter.zimmer_at_rz.uni-ulm.de
> Forms 4.5 developer

I was told by several consultants and by two instructors that RAID was bad. One for sure stated that RAID and Oracle do not play well together. Now in hindsight, I wonder if they were referring to RAID5 for databases that are not read only and will have many writers.

It appears from the answers that I have been receiving that most people using RAID, use it in RAID 0 or 1 if they have a choice. Although some people are using RAID5, most have expressed some dislike, beit the inability to manage your data's placement or poor access times. The persons expressing their like for RAID 5, have stated that they are willing to accept some depreciation in access times in exchange for the inability to disk tune their database.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It appears that I will just be going with the RAID 1 mirroring option and leave RAID 5 alone.

David Daniel
Western Michigan University Received on Wed Nov 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CST