telnet Services & Oracle DB's

From: Richard 'Frog' Barrott <u952297_at_student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: 1996/11/01

I have a couple of questions that I hope somebody can help me with... I need to be able to connect a barcode reader to an Oracle 7.1 database running on an NT server. The barcode reader appears as an Ethernet node and uses TCP/IP for it's networking. What I'm trying to work out is if I can have an NT service that will accept telnet connections on a particular port, and also handle the database interface stuff ?

The barcode reader will be used in a document repository and the software running on the server would show the location of a given file, accept a new location of a file etc., based on input from the barcode reader.

I know there's one more telnet daemon type progs for NT, but I'm not so sure about the interface to the database.

This means that there's only telnet running on the barcode reader, and so keeps things a bit simpler, I hope...

I hope someone can help with this one... Thanks muchly in advance -