Re: access to v$ views, DBA_ tables etc

From: Michael Serbanescu <ms_at_cmprime.cis.att.com>
Date: 1996/10/30

To grant access to v$ views to users other than DBAs, run the script utlmontr.sql (located in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory on UNIX platforms). The script grants access to a role (monitorer, I believe) and the user can access those views through that role.

As far as the DBA_ tables are concerned, remember that the users have access to the USER_ and ALL_ views, which should be enough for any user. However, if this is still not good enough for them, grant them the SELECT ANY TABLE privilege. It used to be that each user had to run the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catdbsyn.sql script to create private synonyms for the DBA_ tables, but I believe that now those tables have public synonyms; thus, by simply granting them SELECT ANY TABLE privilege, they will be able to look at the DBA_ tables.

I hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu
Sr. ORACLE DBA, TRECOM Business Systems, Edison, NJ