Re: Oracle internal memory management

From: Charlie Peck <charliep_at_infocom.com>
Date: 1996/10/29

In article <553elt$qcv_at_charnel.ecst.csuchico.edu>, chafey_at_ecst.csuchico.edu (Chris Hafey) wrote:

> We suspect that Oracle is having problems because we have too much dynamic
> SQL. Before we spend the time making sure every SQL statement uses bind
> variables, I wanted to verify that this is the problem. We thought that
> opening and closing the cursor might help, but again I wanted to see what
> other people had to say.

I have experienced this before with applications that share your usage model (one cursor, lots of opens and execs.) The fix has always been closing the cursor and then reopening it. The downside to this is that it takes a fair amount of energy to free all the resources and then reaquire them. Since it will work fine for n iterations you could experiment with closing it every n rather than for each statement.

charlie peck Received on Tue Oct 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CST