Re: tcplsnr

From: Fuzzy <grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: 1996/10/29

turner_at_mail.more.net (David Turner) wrote:

>I am running Oracle server for NT and for Solaris v2.5. I have been trying
>to set up ODBC on a machine for some time now with success only with the
>instance running on NT. I connect fine from the client machine to the
>Oracle Instance running under NT and yet can't connect to the Instance
>running under solaris.
>
>I get this error message when trying to connect to the instance under
>solaris.
>
>Native error code 6108
>
>which means
>ORA-06108: NETTCP: connect to host failed
>
>Cause: The attempt to connect to a remote host has failed. The SQL*Net
>TCP/IP server on the remote host is not running, or the host itself is not
>running. Check the latter possibility by targeting it with Telnet.
>
>Action: Start the SQL*Net TCP/IP server process on the remote host.
>

>I noticed that NT has both a tnslsnr and tcplsnr but do not see the same
>under solaris. Is there a tcplsnr for solaris?? Or is it just part of the
>lsnrctl utility???
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated
>

>By the way I am able to connect to either instance via forms, browser,etc
>I just can't get the connection through ODBC to the instance under
>solaris.

Dave,

I had exactly the same problem last week, except it was the other way around. I was getting a connection on my Solaris box, but I was getting that message on the NT box.

It turned out to be the install routine was flawed. I had installed on Solaris using the typical install routine, and on the NT using the custom method.

Lo and behold, no combination of custom options actually installs the tcp listener. And Oracle support gave the usual garbage as a response. You might want to check what you did with your Solaris install, and try a typical install to see if that gets you the TCP listener.

Good luck
Ciao
Fuzzy