Re: SGA tuning

From: Eugene Gardner <E.Gardner_at_VaxMan.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 1996/10/27

> 1) To ajust the SGA size, is init.ora the place to go? Is there
> any other way to do so?

Run Oracleins to relink the RDBMS. At the configure option (menu item 3) choose the size.

> 2) How does Oracle handle the SGA allocation? Does it grab all the
> memory at startup time?

Yes, although this can be paged out depending on the platform

> 3) Is there a guildline to allocate SGA size as proportional
> to the total system memory?

Main think is that it must all fit in physical memory, otherwise you could end up double paging out. The is a formula in the Administrators' guide, but it relies on an intimate knowledge of the data and its future growth. Best guess and later monitoring/adjustment may be the most practical way of sizing it.

> 4) Is there a way/tool to monitor the content of a SGA?

Not one known to me; althought some platforms may allow this external to Oracle. Received on Sun Oct 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CDT