Oracle database configuration options

From: woowoo <woiccak_at_acts-testing.com>
Date: 1996/10/24

I am using many char(##) fields in my tables. When data is entered, oracle pads the fields with spaces. For example I have a char(20) called name. I enter Tom into my powerbuilder data entry form. When I look at the data in oracle, Tom with 17 spaces is stored.

My question: Is there any oracle configuration setting to suppress this behavior?

BTW, I know that powerbuilder did not pad the data. It's Oracle...

thanks,
tom

Tom Woiccak                     ACTS Testing Labs
woiccak_at_acts-testing.com        Buffalo, NY
http://www.acts-testing.com