Re: Using OS_Authentication in cron jobs

From: varad acharya <vacharya.ford_at_e-mail.com>
Date: 1996/10/18

Miles Thomas wrote:

> In article <326673D8.41F8_at_mach2.wlu.ca>,
> Brad Baker <bbaker_at_mach2.wlu.ca> wrote:
> >I'm looking into using os_authentication for the purposes of running
> >cron jobs which run a sql script through sqlplus. When the appropriate
> >user invokes the shell script from the unix command prompt, the script
> >runs to completion with no errors. However, when the same shell is
> >invoked by the cron facility, I receive an invalid username/password
> >message. Any ideas as to the possible problem? Has anyone implemented
> >a similar setup?
> >
> >Thanks for any help...
> >Brad Baker

The problem is related to the manner in which cron creates the environment for jobs that it starts. Basically it provides a minimal environment defining PATH HOME & LOGNAME. Check the man pages for the cron and crontab commands.

What you need to do is execute your .profile/.login etc in the script tha you submit to cron.

--

Regards,

Varad Acharya

 The above statements and opinions are my own and do not
 necessarily represent those of Ford Motor Company.