INTERNAL password, Oracle 7.3, Windows NT

From: Peter Moore <ptmoore_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1996/10/16

Dear All,

I thought I knew what I was doing as a DBA on VMS and Unix, but now I've been landed with an NT box with a pre-installed database and I haven't got the foggiest...

Can anyone answer me the following:

  1. How do I change the 'INTERNAL' user password? 'ALTER USER internal ...' doesn't work as there's no such user! And I can't shutdown the database to change some params because the INTERNAL password is neither manager nor change_on_install.
  2. What do I do to allow me to log in as SYSDBA? There is mention of an orapwd73 utility, but this doesn't seem to allow for having two instances on the same box with different passwords...

If anyone can point me to exactly where to look for this... The online docs are next to useless and there are *no* paper docs, so I'm at a loose end on this one.

Thanks in advance,

PT

--
Peter Moore.