Re: Using ASM for shared linux filesystem storage?

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 11:03:55 +0200

On 30.07.2016 20:16, Doug OLeary wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I'm hearing rumors that sanity may be
> prevailing. I'm on a trip atm, and the only thing I saw was the
> service call asking for this to happen.

It's always good if sanity gets the upper hand. There is just too much confusion out there. Good luck!

> We (a minion and I) keyed in on the non-cluster aware filesystem on a
> clustered disk storage contradiction as well. Other that common
> sense, I was hoping for a link which said "these are the filesystems
> that oracle supports on ASM". My googling didn't show anything like
> that, though.

Unfortunately my active ASM usage is too long ago to be of much help here. I tend to believe though, that you cannot have an ASM volume appear as a block device in the OS - which is what you would need. I tried to dig around a bit but only found sites discussing usage of a block device for storage of ASM - not how you can make an ASM disk appear as a block device.

And if you think about it, this makes sense: Oracle database does not need a filesystem. It just needs something where to store blocks for each data "file" in random access manner. ASM gives you that and there does not seem to be any need to expose ASM volumes other than through some libraries that the database is using.

> If it turns out that sanity doesn't prevail, we'll have to start the
> push back.

:-)

> Thanks again for the info and for the link Haven't looked at it yet
> but it's definitely on the to-do list.

You're welcome! Please do keep us updated. It's always interesting to see what eventually turns up.

Kind regards

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/