Tablespace - BIGFILE versus SMALLFILE

From: <jimmybrock_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:31:10 -0700 (PDT)

We are using NetApp for our storage. OS nfs, not Direct NFS.

OS: OEL 5.6
DB: Oracle 11gR2

Currently, we are using SMALLFILE. Here are the details for the non-partitioned table:

NUM_ROWS   : 2442000193
SIZE_GB    : 70.47
BLOCKS     : 8602880

We have 3 data files, each is set to max_size of 25GB.

I have been tasked with partitioning the table and moving the database to our new hardware.

I'm recommending switching to BIGFILE. With an 8k data block size this data file can have a max size of 32TB.

My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of SMALLFILE/BIGFILE?

Any known issues with BIGFILE with NetApp (NFS)? Received on Tue Sep 23 2014 - 23:31:10 CEST

Original text of this message