Re: NHS grows a NoSQL backbone and rips out its Oracle Spine

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:18:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:55:24 AM UTC-7, Robert Klemme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> apparently the British NHS has dumped Oracle:
>
> "One reason is to help the British government cut the amount it spends on IT, buying expensive systems from tech's big boys like Oracle.
>
> Cost savings from dumping Oracle will come through not paying an Oracle license a maintenance fee and by consolidating the hardware."
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/09/nhs_spin2_rips_out_oracle/
>
> Is it just me or does such a move seem to happen more often nowadays?
>
> Cheers
>
> robert

There are a certain strata of applications that can move away from Oracle. Now, will it be cheaper in long-term maintenance? I'm highly skeptical. Have they properly evaluated the ACID consequences? I'm highly skeptical. Will people judge it on the end-user app shininess? Of course.

Will this affect Oracle's bottom line as many companies do it? So far, not so much, however much stratification makes sense will eventually determine that. There will likely be a backlash at some point as people use the new and shiny inappropriately. But of course, Oracle is invading the in-memory and key value markets too.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/10/keep_that_consumer_browser_tat_away_from_our_software_says_oracle/